Showing 93 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Maris, Bill

  • BMaris
  • Persoon
  • 1924-1986

William Austin Maris was born at his maternal grandmother’s house in Woodside, Queens, on October 28, 1924. Shortly after his birth, his mother returned with him to the family home in Steubenville Ohio. Maris’ father, Constantine Maris, had opened a photo studio in the 1920s, where his artistically-inclined mother, a photographer, printed in the studio’s darkroom, hand painted photographs and also designed and made costumes and backgrounds. Indeed, the entire Maris family was creative – his sister Minerva Maris Wagner would later become a professional photographer with the Miami Herald; another sister, Helen Maris, was also an artist . The young Bill Maris took up photography early on, recalling that by the age of seven he and his sister Minerva had begun setting up a large format camera on the street (no doubt supplied by his father’s studio) in order to photograph passersby. Maris graduated from high school during World War II and enlisted in the army as a photographer. Following the war, he relocated to the Lower East Side in New York, where he soon joined a professional and social circle of artists and photographers. He was loosely connected with the Photo League at this time, and made use of their accessible darkrooms. This period in New York would become a formative one for Maris politically, culturally and artistically, and from the late 1940s on, his work was concentrated in and around the city. In the early 1950s, Maris met his future business partner, former architecture student-turned master photographer Ezra Stoller, noted for elevating architectural photography to an art form. During their partnership, Maris photographed such landmark structures as the TWA Terminal at John F. Kennedy Airport (then Idlewild Airport), the Ford Foundation Building, and the Seagram Building. Maris and Stoller continued working together until the mid-1960s when they dissolved their business partnership (though the two remained on friendly terms). During the 1960s and early 1970s, Maris' architectural clients included I.M. Pei, Groupius's firm The Architects’ Collaborative (TAC), Richard Meier, Charles Gwathmey, Robert A.M. Stern, Julian and Barbara Neski, and Norman Jaffe, among others. He also completed numerous magazine assignments, primarily on the East Coast, for publications such as House & Garden, House Beautiful, and Traditional Home. His commercial clients included IBM and Avon Corporation. He also photographed the works of architects and designers Norman Foster, Michael Graves, Eero Saarinen and Frank Gehry, in addition to interior designers such as Jack Lenore Larsen and Timo Sarpaneva. Maris’ work has been acquired by institutions such as the Yale University Art Gallery and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art’s architecture and design collection. Maris died in New York, New York, on December 16, 1986.

Dash, Robert Warren

  • RWDash
  • Persoon
  • 1934 - 2013

Robert Warren Dash was an impressionist painter whose work is featured in collections at the Modern Art Museum in Munich, the Guggenheim Museum, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Philadelphia Museum of Fine Arts, and the Corcoran Gallery. He is also known for the Madoo Conservancy, a 2 acre organic garden in Sagaponack that has been recognized by National Geographic as one of North America’s best “secret” gardens.

Family Circle Great Ideas

  • FCGIdeas
  • Publication
  • 1975-2001

Great Ideas was a published seven times a year by Family Circle, Inc.

Pratt Institute School of Information

  • US NBP
  • Instelling
  • 1890-2015

The following is adapted from Ian Post’s “Administrative History” (Guide to the Records of the School of Information 1886-2001(July/August 2015)

The Pratt Institute School of Information and Library Science is the oldest library school in continuous operation in the United States, established in June 1890 when the Pratt Institute Free Library began offering organized training classes in library economy and cataloging. Growing out of a need for trained library staff at the two branches of the Free Library, which was founded in January 1888, Margaret Healy directed the library and its new courses in the basement of Main Building.

In 1890, Mary Wright Plummer, a graduate of Melvil Dewey’s Columbia Library School class of 1888, came to Pratt Institute to develop “skilled assistants.” The designation of the Pratt Institute Library School, Plummer’s appointment to director of the library and its school, and the establishment of a regular faculty— primarily composed of Free Library staff—marked a substantial change for the program in 1895. One year later, the Library School moved to the new library designed by architect William Tubby. The two branches of the Pratt Institute Free Library, which had provided both faculty and an environment for students to gain practical experience, remained in operation until 1903 when the Brooklyn Public Library was established.

Plummer separated the Library and the Library School in 1904, assuming the directorship of the school, but not the library. Under Plummer’s directorship, the school’s curriculum began to reflect the professionalization of librarianship and its name changed again in 1909 to the Pratt Institute School of Library Science. In 1911, Plummer was succeeded by Josephine Adams Rathbone as the Vice-Director of the library school, overseeing much of the administrative matters including interviewing and selecting students, reviewing coursework, and conducting the annual tour. Appointed at the same time was Edward Frances Stevens, who assumed directorship of both the library and school. Stevens, however, concentrated on managing the library. In 1923, the school became one of the first 13 library schools to be accredited by the American Library Association. Stevens and Rathbone remained director and vice director until 1938. The year 1939 marked another significant change for the library school as William “Wayne” Shirley was appointed library director and dean with Agnes Camilla Hansen serving as associate director. Furthermore, the school began to confer Bachelor of Science degrees, allowing them to award prior graduates with retroactive degrees. In 1940, the School of Library Science became a graduate school and the library was no longer open to the public.

The school began awarding graduates Master of Library Science degrees as of 1950. Between 1955 and 1956, Rice Estes served as the school’s dean, followed by Louis D. Sass who held the position until 1968. At this time, the school’s curriculum underwent another transformation under the new dean, Nasser Sharify when the school was designated as the Graduate School of Library and Information Science. For the first time since 1896, the library school moved into a new building on Pratt Institute’s Brooklyn campus. During the 1970s, some classes were held at the Pratt Manhattan Center and, later, the Puck Building. Sharify, who led the development of the field of international librarianship, worked to change the school’s curriculum from an institutional approach to one that favored functional, comparative, and systems approaches. Sharify remained the school’s dean until 1987, but continued to teach courses as a Distinguished Professor and Dean Emeritus. After 1987, the school went through a series of deans: S. Michael Malinconico (1987- 1988), Seoud M. Matta (acting-dean 1989-1992, dean 1992-1999), Anne Woodsworth (1999- 2001), and Marie Radford (acting-dean 2002-2004). The current dean, Tula Giannini, was appointed in 2005 and has shifted the school’s focus to the emerging field of digital humanities.

As of 1995 the school became known as the School of Information and Library Science and in 2002 the school relocated all classes to its current location in Manhattan at 144 West 14th Street. The school was renamed in 2015 to the School of Information. For a detailed history of the Pratt Institute School of Information and its curriculum prior to 1978, see Nasser Sharify’s “The Pratt Institute Graduate School of Library and Information Science” in the Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, Volume 23, pages 145-170.

Jaffe, Norman (American architect)

  • NJaffe
  • Architect
  • 1932-1993

Most known for single-home designs but also designed urban residential complexes, office towers and industrial buildings.

Henderson, Richard

  • RHenderson
  • Architect
  • 1928-2009

Richard Henderson was a partner in the American architectural firm Gwathmey Henderson Siegel from 1968-1970. He then became a faculty member at Cooper Union in 1972, and was appointed Professor of Architecture and Associate Dean in 1982. He retired in 2000.

House & Garden

  • HGarden
  • Publication
  • 1934 - Present

Features articles on interior design and decoration as well as covers food and wine, travel, outdoor living, antiques, as well as current exhibitions.

Crafts with Simplicity

  • CSimplicity
  • Publication
  • 1986 - 198?

Crafts with Simplicity was a quarterly publication that featured needlework and crafts from Simplicity Pattern Company, Inc.

Resultaten 51 tot 75 van 93